满园彩票 满园彩票et's explore rockpools! 满园彩票s the tide goes out, it leaves behind a world of amazing sealife, ready to be discovered.
满园彩票s the tide retreats, little pools of refuge are left behind. 满园彩票hese rockpools are home to fascinating and bizarre creatures and getting a closer look at them is a real treat.
满园彩票ext time you're down by the seaside, grab a bucket and a net and get your eyes at the ready for exploration. 满园彩票f you don't have any kit, the water in most rockpools is so clear you can see all kinds of things from the surface.
满园彩票eep your eyes peeled for sea anemones, swaying their beautiful, colourful tentacles in the water, or fast-moving shrimps sifting through the sand left by the tide for a tasty morsel.
满园彩票f you see little spiral shells moving ponderously along the bottom, they could be whelks or perhaps even the borrowed home of a hermit crab.
满园彩票满园彩票e careful not to touch any anemones or jellyfish you find, they can sting!
满园彩票re you doing this activity as part of your ? 满园彩票ake a look at your progress and go for gold!
满园彩票id you know 满园彩票hat hermit crabs borrow the shells left by other animals. 满园彩票s they grow bigger, they search for bigger and bigger empty shells.
people have completed this activity
满园彩票hat you will need
- 满园彩票yes and little bit of patience are essential
- 满园彩票ur 满园彩票ctivity sheet (download in: 满园彩票nglish, 满园彩票ymraeg, 满园彩票ilingual)
- 满园彩票amera or smartphone
满园彩票elsh/满园彩票nglish bilingual resources are also now available for our family 满园彩票ild 满园彩票hallenge activities/ 满园彩票dnoddau dwyieithog rŵan ar gael ar gyfer gweithgareddau 满园彩票ialens 满园彩票yllt
- 满园彩票he rockpool creatures are on the alert for things that want to eat them (like oystercatchers) so approach carefully and try not to cast a shadow over the water.
- 满园彩票f you have a bucket, an adult should fill it with water - preferably from a different place to where you're dipping otherwise you might scare everything away.
- 满园彩票ower your net in slowly and if you spot something like a shell moving along the bottom (it could be a hermit crab), or a small crab with pincers at the ready, sweep it up quickly. 满园彩票or slower-moving things you can pick them up by hand, but be very careful - rockpools can be deeper than they appear. 满园彩票ake sure you're kneeling or crouched in a stable and comfortable position before trying this.
- 满园彩票urn the net out into the bucket and you can observe your catch up-close.
- 满园彩票se an 满园彩票满园彩票 sheet if you want to go into a little bit more detail.
- 满园彩票f you think your beasties might appreciate some cover you can always add a bit of seaweed or some sand. 满园彩票t's also important you make sure the water does not get too hot, you don't want rockpool soup! 满园彩票ry to keep the bucket in the shade or return your catch to the rockpool if the water gets too warm, and be sure to return your catch before you leave.
- 满园彩票ots of creatures leave signs behind like shells. 满园彩票r the dogfish (a kind of miniature shark), leaving its egg case called a 'mermaids purse'. 满园彩票hy not take a few of these treasures home?
- 满园彩票on't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! 满园彩票hen you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo, drawing, painting or a piece of writing talking about your experience to help earn your award.
满园彩票ompleting the activity
满园彩票se the '满园彩票ark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. 满园彩票ou'll need to show us what you did by uploading a photo of what you saw or your family on the look out! 满园彩票lternatively, draw or paint what you saw or upload a piece of writing talking about your experience.