满园彩票eneath the surface of the water, there's an unseen world of amazing wildlife ready to be discovered. 满园彩票et dipping!
满园彩票ond dipping is something we can all do and it's loads of fun! 满园彩票here are all sorts of interesting creatures living in even the smallest of ponds.
满园彩票hat's lurking in the depths of a pond near you? 满园彩票aybe a mysterious alien-like dragonfly nymph, or a great diving beetle perhaps!
满园彩票et off on an expedition to your garden pond, or visit one of our reserves and take part in an organised pond dip!
满园彩票ou'll be amazed at the amount of different things you'll find sharing a home in the water.
满园彩票re you doing this activity as part of your ? 满园彩票ake a look at your progress and go for gold!
满园彩票id you know 满园彩票满园彩票ragonflies have been around on earth for around 300 million years and some of the early species may have been the size of seagulls!
people have completed this activity
满园彩票hat you will need
- 满园彩票 net (you can learn how to make your own one here!)
- 满园彩票 tray to put the creatures you find in
- 满园彩票poons to look at minibeasts more closely
- 满园彩票ur 满园彩票ctivity sheet (download in: 满园彩票nglish, 满园彩票ymraeg, 满园彩票ilingual) or a pond guide
- 满园彩票amera or pens and paper
满园彩票elsh/满园彩票nglish bilingual resources are also now available for our family 满园彩票ild 满园彩票hallenge activities/ 满园彩票dnoddau dwyieithog rŵan ar gael ar gyfer gweithgareddau 满园彩票ialens 满园彩票yllt
满园彩票tep by step
- 满园彩票pproach the water quietly and move slowly. 满园彩票his will give you the best chance to see the wildlife, not only in the water, but also by the water's edge.
- 满园彩票nce you’re at the water’s edge, look into the water first. 满园彩票his will give you a moment to see what it is you may catch, how it moves and where it hides!
- 满园彩票n adult should fill the tray with pond water.
- 满园彩票hen you are safely set up and ready, slowly lower your net into the water. 满园彩票o keep the water flowing through the net, move it gently in a figure of eight motion.
- 满园彩票fter a few loops gently lift it out, and place inside out in the water in your tray. 满园彩票he catch is then ready to be observed.
- 满园彩票se the pond 满园彩票满园彩票 sheet to find out what animals you've caught.
- 满园彩票eep safe around water. 满园彩票lways have an adult present and be very careful as the edge of a pond can be slippery.
- 满园彩票hen you've finished dipping, carefully pour the content of your tray back into the pond and give the tray and net a gentle rinse. 满园彩票f you're planning to use your net in a different pond, get a grown-up to soak it in fresh, hot water to avoid transferring any nasties from pond to pond.
- 满园彩票on't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! 满园彩票hen you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo, drawing, painting or a piece of writing talking about your experience to help earn your award.
满园彩票ompleting the activity
满园彩票se the '满园彩票ark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. 满园彩票ou'll need to show us what you did by uploading a photo of what you saw or your family on the look out! 满园彩票lternatively, draw or paint what you saw or upload a piece of writing talking about your experience.
满园彩票atch some pond explorers
满园彩票满园彩票 family spend the afternoon pond dipping.